Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 15, 2013

Modern Batman Quilt from Simply Pieced

As a momma of two boys (who are obsessed with super heroes) I absolutely LOVE this quilt.  Really, seriously.  I may be making one of these very soon.  I'm not just saying that.  Anyway, I love this quilt!!  Made by Janet of Simply Pieced I was so excited to see it linked up to Fabric Tuesday two weeks ago.  Like so many of you she does a great job documenting her quilt finishes, from 2011, 2012 and 2013.  I wish I had mine documented so well!  Make sure to stop by Simply Pieced after checking out her feature!

I hate to play favorites, but this next quilt is probably my favorite quilt that I've made so far.  Don't get me wrong, I love the other quilts.  I don't usually make something that I don't like, but this one took a piece of my heart with it when I gave it to the mom-to-be at her baby shower.  I should have asked for visitation rights, or to quilt-sit when they go out of town...I'm being ridiculous...sort of.

When I found out the mom was pregnant and having a little boy, I contacted the dad through a mutual friend on what they were doing in the nursery.  You see, the dad does all the decorating...ALL the decorating.  He's a very talented graphic designer that has an eye for fashion and color, but he's also a big kid at heart.  When it came to this baby boy's nursery, the dad knew exactly what he wanted to do and was very specific when it came to colors (robin's egg blue, stop sign red and charcoal grey) and theme (classic Batman).  I received these two attachments:



The first is one of the prints used in the room and the second is a diagram of the different batman symbols used since the character's creation.  The dad ended up using this diagram to create an art piece above the crib, which looks awesome.  The diagram was also my inspiration for the quilt.  When I think of Batman, one of the first things that comes to mind is the bat signal.  I liked the cityscape at the bottom of the diagram and wanted to use that design somehow in the quilt.  I ended up drawing up a sketch on graph paper of a simple cityscape with the bat signal in the air.  The idea of recreating the drawing as a quilt was a bit daunting, but I was determined.  

When it came to piecing the front, I decided to machine-piece the buildings separately and then applique them onto the background fabric by hand.  Before the buildings could be attached, I had to put the spotlight and bat signal in the sky.  I ended up picking the bat-signal I associated with Batman as the call-sign.  This took a lot of trial and error to get everything exactly where I wanted it.  Once the bat signal and the buildings were in place, I put windows on the buildings to help bring the buildings to life.  Mixing the red and blue for the windows helps bring in the nursery colors on top of the charcoal grey.  I machine-quilted the quilt with horizontal lines.  I knew I needed to keep the lines fairly close together to help secure the large appliqued pieces of fabric.  I hand appliqued the initial onto the back of the quilt as a finishing touch.






This quilt was so much fun to design and make.  I sincerely hope the baby boy will love his quilt as much as I do.
Photobucket

18 comments:

Susanne - Stoffbreite.de said...

That's awesome! I didn't know that there are so many different symbols.

Susanne

giddy99 said...

It's fantastic! Straight-line quilting is probably one of my most favorites, and one of the reasons I took up quilting in the first place. LOVE IT.

Loves to Quilt said...

Awesome, wonderful quilt! Any boy would love it!

Anonymous said...

Truly awesome quilt! What a lucky little lad! =D

Unknown said...

How Awesome! Your Little one will LOVE IT!

Pinspot said...

So creative! It looks so great!

claudia said...

WOW! That is a fantastic quilt!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a Batman nursery! That is so awesome.

I'm so impressed that you were able to envision a concept and totally nail it. Well done!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Alrighty! What a wonderful boy quilt. I love batman.

Unknown said...

Oh WOW - I'm not always a fan of the more traditional quilt pattern, but this one is to die for! You've captured it perfectly and now I must have a go at something myself. Love it SOOO much.

Regina said...

my 8 year old superhero wannabe is drooling over this!!!

Danih03 said...

This is awesome!

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

What a fabulous quilt! Looks fantastic!

Patti said...

Awesome quilt! Isn't it great when an idea comes together so well? Be proud, it''s gorgeous!

Saltwater Quilts said...

This quilt is so awesome!!! What a creative idea for a quilt! I love, love, love this!

Heather said...

Such a great quilt!!

Anonymous said...

OMG this is amazing!!!

Unknown said...

If you have no idea how to start your essay, find some good college paper example or just order it from reliable writing service.